The purpose of this policy is to provide directions in relation to the collection, use and storage of personal information about
individuals which may be required by the Australasian Training Company.
The guiding principle of this policy is that personal information held by ATC is relevant, accurate, stored securely and has
restricted access. The following protocols apply to the collection, security, access and retention of personal Information.
Personal information will be obtained where ATC is required to obtain that information or where
it is necessary for ATC to conduct its business effectively.
• ATC will not collect personal information on any individual, unless that information is necessary to perform our normal business functions and activities;
• ATC will collect information only by lawful and unobtrusive means;
• ATC will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information held is accurate and up-to-date;
• Sensitive information will not be collected without the consent of the individual.
• Information provided to ATC by an individual will be deemed to be provided with consent;
• ATC will protect any personal information from misuse and unauthorised access;
• ATC will not adopt any identifiers used by a commonwealth agency (eg. tax file numbers, license numbers. Passport numbers) for an individual;
• ATC will adopt its own unique identifier for an individual in which it will not be linked to
• any identifiers used by either a commonwealth or international agency;
• ATC will not transfer an individual’s information to foreign countries in circumstances where the information will not have appropriate privacy protection;
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
• Any individual from whom personal information is collected may access their personal information upon request;
• On request from an individual, ATC will take all reasonable steps to generally inform that person what sort of personal information ATC holds, and for what purpose the information may be used or disclosed. ATC will require an individual to
provide proof of identity before providing this information.
• ATC will take all reasonable steps to allow individuals access to their personal information upon written request.
ATC does collect and retain reports on an individual’s medical fitness to undertake certain ATC courses. This information will not be disclosed to any person or organisation without the written consent of the
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION BY EMPLOYER
• Where training with ATC is paid by an employer and the course is a requirement of employment, ATC will provide a
Copy of Attendance, Certification, Verification of Competency (VOC) and/or Statement of Attainment/Attendance to the
employer upon request;
• ATC will not provide access to reports, feedback sheets and other documents used in training unless the ATC Director
believes it is required or to address any unforseen issue;
• If a Copy of Attendance, Certification, Verification of Competency (VOC) and/or Statement of Attainment/Attendance by the
employer at a later stage, a consent form signed by the individual must be submitted to ATC incurring any administrative
or replacement fee;
• Where training is funded by the individual, ATC will not allow the employer to access the individual’s training records
unless requested by the individual in writing;
• All requests made by employers to access individual training records must be accompanied by a completed Information
Release Request Form of IFAP’s legal liability. The Information
• Release Request Form (available via IFAP Central).
• Where training is funded by the employer, at the completion of training, should the individual be deemed ‘not yet
competent’, IFAP will contact the employer and advise them of the outcome.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION BY 3RD PARTIES
• ATC will not disclose personal information to any other organisation or individual unless required by law to do so;
• The only time ATC will allow third party access to participant information outside the provisions stated above, is when the
participant has given consent; the ID of the requesting party has been verified and a waiver has been signed.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION BY ATC
ATC may market its services and third-party services to individuals on its database if it believes that those services may assist
the individual to improve occupational health and safety.
• The only personal information used will be residential, business or electronic mail addresses;
• Reference shall also be made to the above section; ‘Access to Personal Information by 3RD Parties’ of this policy in relation
to forwarding entire records of training.
RETENTION OF RECORDS
• ATC is required to maintain training records for up to 30 years, under prevailing Australian Legislation, International
Legislation and Regulations
• When conducting Australian education and training, ATC is required to comply with ASQA General direction: Retention
requirements for completed assessment items_Version 3_20 February 2013
• If ATC ceases to operate a training service, ATC may transfer without notice to any individual, its training records to a
similar to this policy.