AIMS AND OUTCOMES
This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a self erecting tower crane. Self erecting Tower cranes most commonly have a horizontal boom that folds out during erection, and are usually operated by remote control rather than from a cabin. For licencing purposes, self-erecting tower cranes are a separate category to other types of tower crane. This course will require the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane.
This course is based on the requirements of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Operation of a self-erecting tower crane for the lifting of loads
- Risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Use and interpretation of crane manufacturer’s specifications and data, including load charts and ballast, to enable the crane to be configured for the load
- Verify problems and equipment faults and demonstrate appropriate response procedures
- Ability to be able to read and comprehend manufacturer’s instructions, procedures and safety signs
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation of loads
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of processes for the crane
- Organisational and workplace standards, requirements, policies and procedures for conducting operations for the crane class
- Understanding of the hierarchy of hazard identification and control
- Procedures for the recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
- Self-erecting tower crane characteristics and capabilities to allow the operation of the crane to suit the range of loads
- Rated capacity and working load limits (including use of crane load charts)
- Typical routine problems encountered in the operation of the crane and equipment and adjustments required for correction
- Plan work
- Setup Crane
- Conduct routine checks
- Transfer loads
- Shut down and secure crane
It is recommended that candidates are trained and competent in Rigging and Slinging operations, and have logged hours in crane operation.
COURSE CODE: CPCCLTC4002 LICENCE TO OPERATE A SELF-ERECTING TOWER CRANE
We provide Nationally Recognised Training under a Third-Party Arrangement with Trainwest (RTO Provider No. 51807). Trainwest will be the issuing RTO for all Statements of Attainment associated with the nationally recognised VET courses listed in the agreement, and concurrently displayed on the ATC Offshore website.