AIMS AND OUTCOMES
This course will provide the skills necessary to evaluate loads, select the appropriate slings, hitch and hardware equipment for performing the lifting of loads. Personnel will learn techniques to perform daily inspections, assess rigging safety and properly communicate with other riggers and to ensure overall safety during material handling/lifting processes. Those attending this training will learn crane operating principles, lifting operational safety, load control methods, lifting equipment inspection procedures, communications, and load handling techniques.
- Plan work
- Understand compliance with prevailing legislation
- Identify proper rigging components
- Select correct rigging equipment
- Select correct hitch applications
- Inspect rigging hardware
- Use of Loose Items and use of Hardware
- Understanding Basic Rigging principles and understanding Crane Operations
- Perform basic rigging and lifting equipment calculations
- Fleet Angles and Winch systems
- Perform offshore rigging general duties- your responsibilities
- Storage of rigging equipment
- Give examples of the result of incorrect use of lifting components and how this can be avoided.
- Show knowledge of the regulations regarding marking, documentation, use, maintenance, daily inspection and discard criteria of lifting gear.
- Choose correct lifting equipment and show correct methods of use.
- Direct crane operations safely using radio & hand signals
- Develop and follow a lifting plan and Risk assessment
- Lift planning and risk assessment
- Slinging various types of load according to size, weight, shape and centre of gravity.
- Blind Lifts
- Choosing the correct lifting equipment
- Visual check of slings and lifting accessories
- Theoretical and practical examinations
Students will receive an API – U certification issued by ATC Offshore upon course completion and passing exams. Theoretical test pass mark is set at 80%.