AIMS AND OUTCOMES
The Stage 3 Offshore Crane Operator Assessment is an internationally recognised and accepted assessment strategy for offshore crane operators. Candidates will be required to demonstrate knowledge, understanding and practical skills to successfully complete the assessment process and be deemed competent to work safely and effectively unsupervised.
Participants will be required to operate an offshore crane unsupervised over a full range of lifting activities including vessel to vessel transfer operations. The Assessor will accompany the crane operator to the crane cab and expect the operator to give a detailed and thorough description of the crane and its workings.
The Practical assessment is to be carried out on the worksite, using an offshore-rated crane to carry out lifting operations for the purposes of assessment. This is to be provided by the candidate or their sponsor. The practical assessment is expected to take one day, but is dependent on access to the worksite and operational requirements.
- Plan work and provide comprehensive understanding of a crane operator’s responsibilities
- Input data, use of Load Indicator Functions and Interpretation of Crane Capacity Charts and Manuals
- Perform pre-operational and shutdown procedures
- Safely control the crane during lifting operations
- Demonstrate the ability to remove load swing
- Safely conduct a series of Dynamic lifts and Blind lifts
- Conduct vessel to vessel transfer of loads and use of personnel transfer equipment
- Verify problems and equipment faults and demonstrate appropriate response procedures
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation and measurement of load mass
- Locate and apply relevant documentation, risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Establish and maintain communications with all personnel, vessels and rigging crews
- Use and interpret crane manufacturer’s specifications and data, including load charts, to enable the crane to be configured for the correct sea-state and specific load characteristics
- Transfer of personnel between the facility and another vessel using appropriate approved equipment
- Safe management of loads during diving operations and subsea operations
- Heave compensation, passive, active and overload protection systems
- Theoretical Assessment with a pass mark of 80% and Practical Assessment
Offshore Crane Operator Stage 3 certificate of assessment is issued to conduct all offshore lifts in accordance with BS 7121 Part 11 upon successful completion and is valid for 2 years from date of issue.