AIMS AND OUTCOMES
This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to perform slinging techniques, including the selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane operator in the movement of the load when the load is out of view of the crane/ operator for licensing purposes.
This course covers the scope of work to demonstrate competency in the application of slinging techniques, selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane/ operator in the movement of the load.
This course is based upon the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan job
- Select and inspect equipment
- Prepare site and equipment
- Perform task
- Shut down job and clean up
- Communication techniques in the workplace including whistles, hand signals and use of fixed channel two-way radios
- Calculate rated capacity of lifting equipment
- Ability to interpret rated capacity and working load limit tags
- Hazard identification and control
- Slinging techniques
- Selection and inspection of lifting equipment
- Directing crane operators in the moving of loads in a safe manner, using a slewing crane
- Inspection and care of a wide range of lifting equipment to appropriate Australian Standards and/or manufacturer’s specifications.
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation and measurement of loads
- Basic knowledge of types of cranes and their functions
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of techniques for undertaking dogging activities
- Load stability and safety factors in line with manufacturer’s specifications
- Understanding of the hierarchy of control
We provide Nationally Recognised Training under a Third-Party Arrangement with Site Skills Training (RTO Provider No. 32531). Site Skills Training will be the issuing RTO for all Statements of Attainment associated with the nationally recognised VET courses listed in the agreement, and concurrently displayed on the ATC Offshore website.