AIMS AND OUTCOMES
This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to operate a tower crane for licensing purposes, and covers a jib or boom/job crane mounted on a tower structure, demountable or permanent, including both horizontal and luffing jib types. This does not cover self-erecting tower cranes.
This course requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane. This unit requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane. This course is based on the requirements of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan work
- Conduct routine checks
- Transfer loads
- Shut down and secure crane
- Operation of a tower crane for the lifting and moving of loads
- Risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Use and interpretation of crane manufacturer’s specifications and data
- Verifying problems and equipment faults and demonstrating appropriate response procedures
- Ability to read and comprehend manufacturer’s instructions, procedures and safety signs
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation of loads
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of processes for the crane
- Organisational and workplace standards, requirements, policies and procedures for conducting operations for the crane class
- Understanding of the hierarchy of hazard identification and control
- Procedures for the recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
- Tower crane characteristics and capabilities to allow the operation of the crane to the range of loads
- Rated capacity and working load limits (including use of crane load charts)
- Typical routine problems encountered in the operation of the crane and equipment and adjustments required for correction.
A Statement of Attainment and Notice of Assessment will be issued upon successful completion in accordance with RTO partnership agreement