AIMS AND OUTCOMES
This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to operate a mobile crane of greater than 3 tonnes capacity that incorporates a boom or jib which includes articulated type mobile cranes and locomotive cranes, but does not include vehicle tow trucks, for licensing purposes.
This course requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, set up crane, transfer loads, mobile loads, and shut down and secure the crane. This course is based on the requirements of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan work
- Conduct routine checks
- Setup Crane
- Transfer load
- Shut down and secure crane
- Assessment of ground conditions to confirm that the site is suitable (e.g. firm, level and safe) to operate crane
- Operate crane including all functions to their maximum extension in the lifting and moving of loads to the safe working rated capacity in conjunction with other associated personnel
- Mobile loads using best mobile practice
- Apply risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Use and interpret crane manufacturer’s specifications and data
- Verify problems and equipment faults and demonstrate appropriate response procedures
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation and measurement of loads
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the range of processes for the crane class
- Ability to read and comprehend manufacturer’s instructions, procedures and safety signs
- Understanding of crane characteristics and capabilities (including use of load charts) to allow the configuration of the crane to suit the range of loads
- Understanding of the hierarchy of hazard identification and control
- Organisational and workplace standards, requirements, policies and procedures for conducting operations for the crane class
- Procedures for the recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
We provide Nationally Recognised Training under a Third-Party Arrangement with Site Skills Training (RTO Provider No. 32531). Site Skills Training will be the issuing RTO for all Statements of Attainment associated with the nationally recognised VET courses listed in the agreement, and concurrently displayed on the ATC Offshore website.