AIMS AND OUTCOMES
The Stage 2 Offshore Crane Operator course aims to give participants the knowledge required to operate an offshore crane in a safe and efficient manner. This is achieved using a bank of scenarios on the offshore crane simulator or by utilising an offshore crane to conduct deck lifts under supervision. Offshore crane operator stage 2 training should follow as soon as is practicable after Offshore Crane Operator Stage 1 training.
The course includes both theory and practical components, with participants undertaking practical exercises including operation of crane simulations to ensure familiarity with procedures, equipment and crane safety systems.
- Plan work
- Crane pre operational checks and maintenance
- Wire rope inspection and care
- Safe rigging practices and Rigging calculations
- Offshore crane safety devices and Dynamic Factors
- Safe working loads and load safety indicators
- Conduct Deck lifts using a Crane or Use of an offshore crane simulator
- Prevailing Health & Safety Legislation and Standards including UK Health and safety at work etc. Act, LOLER Regulations 1998 and PUWER Regulations 1998 and BS7121 Part 11
- Understanding of crane and installation safety systems and devices
- Emergency operating procedures
- Machine awareness and safe areas for crane operation
- Ability to work with a Banksman and/or Riggers
- Radio procedures
- Pre-use checks, Inspection Routines and crane maintenance
- Operational controls ability and attitude towards safe operations
- Crane load charts and safety equipment
- Slinging of loads and use of rigging gear
Offshore Crane Operator Stage 2 certificate of assessment is issued to conduct all deck lifts and allowing progression to the Offshore Crane Operator Stage 3 training level.
Certification is issued in accordance with BS 7121 Part 11 upon successful completion and is valid for 2 years from issue date.